This Is Me

I live in a world that is not my own that I succumb to in many ways. I live by a code that leaves me to find joy in the small things in life. Not take advantage of anything. Love and learn from everyone I meet in my journey. And especially to learn what it means to be selfless in more ways I thought possible. I am a Army wife. It is what I do. I have a love hate relationship with what I do. But do I regret it? No way.

Friday, February 12, 2010

For Now....

Ok, so I haven't blogged in a while cause, well, I haven't had much to say!
I'm going to blog more this weekend when I have some more time (I'm on "break" right now at work!") but for now, I found this awesome list of easy things/tricks to do to help yourself ease into healthier living. I can't remember where I found it but it has some awesome tips that I've tried and have worked really well:

1. Celebrate your small accomplishments (I get a "cheat" day if I go to all of my spin classes for the week. This week I think I'm going to go shopping!).

2. Burn just 100 calories more (that's only an extra 15 minutes on the elliptical, that's walking the long way to the parking lot).

3. Become a slow eater (this is a challenge, I don't like to waste food so I either stuff my face or eat it quickly, I've been getting better though!).

4. Sleep an extra hour. (Well, ok, if I HAVE too).
5. Eat more veggies (Not as hard as I thought).
6. Eat soup that is broth based and low in sodium (some soups this is hard to do, so I've had to cut back on the more fatty ones!).

7. Eat more whole grains (I struggle with this, I don't like the whole grain taste...ugh).
8. Keep old clothes to stream motivation (mine is a stretch by saying I want to be swim suit ready this summer or DEF by next!).

9. No bacon (OMG, say it isn't so....I don't know if I can do it).
10. Veggie pizzas (ew, not my fav).
11. Cut out sugars (check! I've cut back on sodas, out of two months I cheated once on Superbowl Sunday. Sugar's really aren't my problem, mine is more of salty food issues).

12. Use tall thin glasses (GENIUS!)
13. Limit alcohol (dang it, I'm such a lush. Ok, for real, I really hardly ever drink. I think the last thing I drank was a glass of wine maybe a month ago??).

14. Drink green tea (I love tea. Hot. Cold. Love it. But green tea is my least favorite, so I've got to find a good brand I can teach myself to like, any advice??).

15. Yoga (Spin? I know I need to work on my flexibility and some of you have been encouraging me to try it, I may have too!).

16. Eat at home (We are working on this. When we were more strapped for cash, going out to eat was a TREAT. Now we're doing really well financially so we go out all the time. This is a constant struggle cause I actually enjoy cooking, but John's schedule is so erratic that I never know what day I will end up cooking! Something we/ I can work one, esp when he deploys).

17. Catch the "eating pause." (This is a major prob for me. Like I said above, I hate wasting food esp if we go out, so I'll make myself eat it all. I HATE leftovers, but I am learning they are not so bad).

18. Chew strong mint gum (This supposedly helps with snacking cravings which is my weakness).
19. Shrink your dishes (Smaller dishes smaller portions!).
20. Go meatless more often (oh man, that's a biggy. My grandma used to give us a full butchered cow for Christmas for goodness sake. I LOVE me some beef. However, I have cut it out a lot and have been focusing more on chicken and fish if I am going to use a meat. That or ground turkey. Meatless? IDK. That seems like a large mountain I am ok with not climbing...we'll see!).

Ok, so there's my list of wisdom. Until this weekend!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

love the trick list! Simple things, but add up to make a big difference!

3. Eating slow is a struggle for me. What I try to do now is count my chews. I try to get 15 chews into one bite... Helps me slow down

7. Whole grains... I used to not be able to stand whole grains, but I just forced myself to eat them. After a while I started to love them. Now I only eat whole wheat bread, pizza crust, etc... I have to mix my white rice with brown rice though, because brown rice is too dry...

9. No bacon??!! Actually, I've found that I like turkey bacon. Is that allowed?

10. Veggie pizza... I have a really yummy spinach and mushroom pizza that I love. Recipe under the picture on my facebook (in the food album)

15. Yoga is the bomb diggity. Well, vinyasa is. Hatha is boring.

20. Maybe not meatless, but I stick to a lot more chicken and fish than beef these days. Here's a healthy trick- buy ONLY grass-fed beef. It's a lot more expensive, but WAY WAY WAY WAAAAYYYYYY healthier (ever watch the documentary Food, Inc) The price will help you eat less of it, but when you actually do eat it, you'll be eating high quality beef.

21. (I'm adding one) Buy hormone free foods. Hormones are used to grow meat/chicken/eggs BIG QUICKLY. If it's gonna make the chicken big, it's probably gonna make me big too.



Love your blogs Katie! Keep it up!

-Katie Nguyen

Katie "O" Christian said...

I have never been able to go the turkey bacon route. Just the look of it looks fake! Which I know is the point, but still! I have started focusing on cutting out the hormone foods. I haven't honed in everything to cut out so far, but I'm getting there! :)