This Is Me

I live in a world that is not my own that I succumb to in many ways. I live by a code that leaves me to find joy in the small things in life. Not take advantage of anything. Love and learn from everyone I meet in my journey. And especially to learn what it means to be selfless in more ways I thought possible. I am a Army wife. It is what I do. I have a love hate relationship with what I do. But do I regret it? No way.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

D-Day Approaching: BEWARE!

Sigh.
Last night I secretly broke into tears.
I have no shame to admit it.
Sunday night John told me he needed me to help him with some work stuff Monday night.
Of course I'd help him, so once I got home from spin, had a full belly and a shower, I sat down in the living room to receive my task.

Task: Log the items in his tough box that he's packing for deployment.

Not the best assignment for my writing skills, in my opinion. :)

I must admit, at first I didn't mind it.
I'm a sucker for forms and neat lists!
As disorganized as the Army can seem at times, they certainly know how to do forms. The have a form for everything!
But as he listed items and their quantities for me to write down the more somber I became.

My husband is leaving me.
My best friend won't be there for me.
This is really happening.
Again!

At one point he had to stop for a couple minutes to find something and I stepped away telling him to let me know when he was ready again and I'd come back.
I snuck into our bath room, lent against the door as I closed it behind me and let it flow.
It felt REALLY good.

I got myself together, after a couple seconds of drowning in self pity, and puttered around the house picking up and cleaning things while I was on *pause* status.
It made me think of how I am when John is only gone for a class, generally a week or two sometimes a month-ish.
My life becomes a HUGE monotonous cycle where I do the same thing everyday/every week. For someone like me this is actually ideal because I am SUCH a habitual person and once I get in my zone I rarely step out of it.
For anything!!
But I have never done that for a YEAR.
I'm afraid I'll morph into a robot after a couple months.

Although I have done a deployment before, this one is different.

On the last deployment, we weren't married, we were engaged.
I was in OKC graduating college the same week he was here at Ft. Bragg walking the green ramp.
This time I have to go drop him off to the green ramp and watch him fly away.
Last time I was with his and my own family having an awesome time in the good ol' Colorado Springs hanging out with friends and planning my wedding.
This time I will be here alone (with our babies of course!).
Last time I worked for fun.
This time I will work to save my sanity and give myself a distraction.

Things I plan on doing while he's gone:
-Make more trips home for sure
-Finish my wedding photo album (I know it's been almost two years, I have perfectly good intentions!)
-Keep going to the gym
-Lose weight to get back to my wedding day weight (ultimate goal is 120-125 lbs.)
-Find a small group to get involved in at Manna
-Try to get involved with the 108th MP FRG (family readiness group)
-Go to DC with Kristen!!
-Go to London with Kristen to see Dana!
-Have my bro and/or cousins come out and see me or I go out to see them
-We have a savings plan set up to have almost all our debt paid off while he's gone
-Here's a random one, not only know how to shoot a gun, but to surprise my hubs by getting my concealed weapons permit while he's gone

I am sure that there will be more but that's all I can think of off the top of my head. It's like my deployment bucket list.

Actually I think I am going to write one out so it will give me some things to work towards during this next long year.

2 comments:

Laurie Tomlinson said...

This post made me tear up a bit, love! I am glad you are seeing the positive and planning ahead now to make the most of his deployment. Please keep us updated and we will do our best to push you forward and keep you accountable (if your other readers won't, at least I will!)

Would you like to add Laurie coming to see you one of those weekends? I do fly free! Love you so much!

Katie "O" Christian said...

Oh Laurie I would LOVE IT!!! I didn't know you flew free, that's so awesome. I don't know what we could do here but I know we could figure out something!! Let me know! I'll do whatever I need to do on my end.... :)