This Is Me

I live in a world that is not my own that I succumb to in many ways. I live by a code that leaves me to find joy in the small things in life. Not take advantage of anything. Love and learn from everyone I meet in my journey. And especially to learn what it means to be selfless in more ways I thought possible. I am a Army wife. It is what I do. I have a love hate relationship with what I do. But do I regret it? No way.

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Blast from the past...

One thing I learned very quickly once Bryn was born, is how quickly a variety of toys become a necessity for day to day entertainment.
At times not just for her, but for me too!
Wearing some pj's that were mine as a babe.
(2 mos.)
I always thought my mom was a little weird for hanging on to everything of Drew's and mine-everything from our baby clothes, our homework and school projects, to our toys both as babies and as we grew older into Barbie's and GI Joes, etc.
Being a mom now myself, I totally can relate to her hoarding, and am actually really grateful for it.
We moved 95% of Bryn's toys here to CO when we moved, and my mom added in some awesome toys that have quite the history to them and I love the fact that B is just as entertained by them as she is by her "new" more modern toys.
Some of the most popular toys that Bryn has latched onto are books. She is definitely her mother's daughter when it comes to books, she just loves them, and I couldn't be more thrilled. I lived and breathed books, especially as a child, and really hope she finds the same draw to them that I have (her daddy does too, haha).

What I appreciate even more so than my mom hanging on to all the books I had as a child, is my late grandmother, Katherine, that held onto my dad and his sister's books as they were kids too! These books have a little more wear and tear on them, but the fact that her handwriting is in them with my aunt's and dad's names just add such amazing character to them and I love the fact that they are part of B's library. I appreciate so much the value both my grandma's, all my aunts, and my mom placed on reading,writing, creativity, and imagination growing up...I can't wait to implement the same influence with B.

My dad's and aunt's books.
Books of mine and Drew's as a kids.

Can't go wrong with Peter Rabbit-
given to me by my late grandmother,
Katherine O'Cain.
What I enjoy the most is playing with Bryn with toys that were mine as a child. Funny part is that at times I remember playing with some of these toys myself and seeing it come full circle is just SO cool. The fact that she can find the same enjoyment that I had from these toys, here 27 years later, just speaks volumes to not only their educational value, but also their sentimental value.
Hopefully she'll find the same attachment and wonder of them when she's sharing them with her kids someday. 

My first doll, Lolly.
Stacking/color/counting cups.
Shape/color puzzle.
A cloth old woman with her cloth kids in a cloth shoe.
Ring stacking tower.
Cloth castle with a matching cloth joker, princess, prince, and his white horse.





No comments: